Thursday, July 26, 2007

What If He Was Ya Boy?

Gone for Good?


Tuesday night I was sitting at Flat Rocks Saloon with some buddies watching the Phillies, having a beer, and waiting for my wings when a guy in a Michael Vick jersey walked through the door. He walked down the length of restaurant, turned around and came back towards the front of the bar, then left. Watching him walk in and then back out of the bar I couldn't help, but notice other people's eyes following him closely, half shocked, half disgusted. He wasn't looking for trouble though, he just wanted a place to enjoy some wings and have a cold one with his girl. He never looked at anyone and his demeanor was calm--he genuinely looked like a nice guy. When he stepped out we all turned to each other and laid into him.

"I mean you have to be sick to wear that man!"
"Yeah I mean wuddya doin?!"
"It is like saying hey look at me, I support abusing and murdering helpless animals."

It reminded me of guys wearing Duke lax jerseys last spring at college when the rape allegations came out. I saw them as as despicable and I just didn't understand it. What are you saying wearing that jersey? Do you support rape? Do you think you are funny? Are you looking for attention? We all learned a lesson from that case though...

Sitting there dumbfounded that this guy would have the gall to wear that jersey I got to thinking. Well did this guy really support dogfighting and abuse?

No. Of course he didn't, but then why did he wear the jersey knowing that he would be getting death stares from everyone who knew who Michael Vick was and had a heart in their chest.

It got us talking and got me thinking.


Theo, I see you baby!

What if Allen Iverson was being indicted by the FBI for dogfighting? Would I stand up for my man despite him being linked to something so terrible and heartless? After reflecting for a day, and then another day I honestly don't know. I have always had dogs and have 2 chocolate labs who I love dearly. I love Allen Iverson too. I grew up with him--hell, we grew up together! He is the underdog with the heart of a champion and keeps it so goddam real it hurts sometimes. He represents a culture misunderstood by mainstream America and it makes me love him even more. I have defended and argued for him endless times. I even used to carry Rick Reilly's article from 2001 in my wallet so I could just show it to people and tell them to stop hating, to get past the tattoos and the cornrows.


"Ohh Mike...."
Wearing the jersey isn't about taking sides between a favorite athlete and man's best friend though. It can't be. Maybe it was his solemn walk or his passive expression, but the guy at the bar was more of a 'dead man walking,' a martyr, a last shimmer of love for Michael Vick before they close the door on him. Let's be honest, he was arguably the most exciting football player of the decade. He did things that could only be done in Madden when your friend didn't know what the tackle button was yet. I never thought he was a top QB in the league, but you would watch the Falcons when you got the chance, thats for damn sure. There was no one like him and there may never be again. His tarnished legacy will be the kid from Bad Newz, VA with all the talent in the world who was so close to turning the corner to greatness, whose electrifying career was cut short by his inability to separate himself from his boys and a disgusting hobby that eventually led to his demise. But his game and highlights will certainly never be forgotten.

More than anything I feel bad for the guy wearing the Vick jersey and all the people who wear the Vick jersey. They didn't know it would turn out like this. They just loved him and lined up to support him every Sunday for the past 6 years. Vick might go to jail, they are saying he probably will never play again, but he will be fine and retire with millions of dollars and probably live a happy life in the long run. So who does all of this really hurt? My man wearing the jersey.

I hear your pain.

Iverson was interviewed last weekend at his annual Summer Classic Weekend after a celebrity game of flag football. In response to a question about cutting ties with old friends Iverson said this.

"You know, I don't think it's fair to say, 'Stay away from the people you grew up with,'" he said. "It's hard to have a relationship with people once you're already rich. You have to have a relationship with the same people you grew up with.

"But at the same time, you've got to make sure the guys are not hurting you. You've got to be smart enough to know when they're hurting you and when they're helping you."

I am just glad it wasn't me wearing an Iverson jersey Tuesday night, feeling everyone glare at me in disgust because...well why? Don't hate on him, he just lost his boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).